100 Florence Ave.
Arlington, MA 02476
(781) 254-7542 /
Software / Systems Engineer
GUIs - Java / Windows / Tk
Rapid Application Development /
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
Seasoned software and systems engineer with broad experience and an
interdisciplinary background. Demonstrated ability to absorb information,
identify and solve problems, create user interfaces, models or simulations,
mediate, write and speak publicly. Adaptable, detail-oriented team player who
has worked on projects from conception through implementation to delivery and
|Linux / Unix
||HTML / XML
||PHP / MySQL / LAMP
Secret Clearance received Oct 2008
|Raytheon Company, MA
Software Engineer - Technical Services Company - ongoing
- Leveraged NetBeans RCP for foundation of training management system. Designed and implemented UI and auto-tuning mechanism. Resolved web service Java/WCF interop problem with Axis.
|Senior Software Engineer - Integrated Defense Systems - 3 years
- Identified and solved scaling problems in the Global Capabilities Integration
Modeling and Simulation (GCIMS/JFIRES) project. Created data visualization and
database browser tools.
- Created infrastructures and code for rapid development projects.
- Jumped into debugging the Zumwalt threat-tracking subsystem (MDTS). Solved
outstanding bugs, improved the debugging environment, simplified the code base
and reduced SLOC.
|MIT Kerberos Consortium, Cambridge MA
Lead Software Engineer - Kerberos for Windows
- Responsible for customer and vendor interactions, determining requirements, as
well as product development, maintenance, testing, packaging and delivery.
|CA (formerly Computer Associates), Framingham MA
Senior Software Engineer - eTrust Anti-Virus Group
- Ported new eTrust code from Windows to Linux, HPUX, Solaris and OSX. Extended
CA's legacy Windows emulation framework. Debugged tricky multi-threading,
Windows/Unix portability and client/server problems in both the new and legacy
| Hewlett-Packard, Compaq, Digital Equipment
| Principal Software Engineer - Server Management / Alpha Systems Division - 4 years
- Designed and implemented new multithreaded server management user interface in
Java and Swing. Copied Windows Explorer paradigm to display arbitrary numbers of
servers, their logical (sub)partitions and consoles. Enabled remote access with
Tomcat, XML and web services - one or more rooms full of servers can be managed
from a single point anywhere on the intranet. Advocated for and implemented
usability features and flexible display options.
- Took over development, maintenance and support of initial server management
Console (SMC). Selected commercial installer (WISE) to improve professionalism
Principal Software Engineer - Alpha Migration Tools / Alpha Technology Solutions - 12 years
- Wrote, modified and ran web-intensive benchmarks on Alpha Linux.
- Created internal and external Alpha Linux resource websites and their content.
Wrote PHP and perl scripts and extensively modified and tailored commercial
- Designed and implemented Windows NT DVD player GUI and DVD virtual machine.
Responded rapidly to changing requirements as deadlines approached.
- Key contributor to the pioneering technology of binary translation, which
enables executables from a source architecture to be executed on a target
architecture without source code or human intervention.
- Principal developer of front ends of three binary translation tools to port to
Alpha -- from VAX/VMS [DECMigrate], X86/Win16 prototype and
Sparc/Solaris [Freeport Express]. Intimately familiar with
machine code parsing, architectural issues, flow analysis, optimization,
cross-OS compatibility and jacketing, virtual machine runtime environment,
object oriented design methodology and C++.
- Contributed to all life cycle phases of DECMigrate and Freeport Express.
- Automated testing of FX!32 [X86/Win32 to Alpha VMS] with Visual Test and shell scripts.
- Recruited college students by working at job fairs, giving technical talks and
information sessions and interviewing on campus.
Principal Software Engineer - Advanced Vax Systems Engineering - 6 years
- Designed and implemented an Alpha instruction accelerator in VAX 8800 microcode. Alpha VMS was booted on a VAX using this tool.
- Project Leader. Supervised implementation and documentation of a
register-transfer behavioral model of a new VAX CPU. Developed high level
language approach that would run faster and be easier to implement and maintain,
and sold it to management. Staffed group, brought it up to speed and provided
- VAX 8800 Console software project leader. Developed solutions to new issues
raised by one console controlling a multiprocessor, working within the
constraints imposed by the chosen console hardware. Presented the new concepts
and interacted with a variety of groups, striking a balance between conflicting
demands. Implemented parts of the console software. Delivered software package
on time for proto debug. Maintained & modified software, responding to changing
requirements, through debug and FRS (4/86).
Charles Stark Draper Laboratory, Cambridge MA
Technical Staff - 6 years
- Produced complete software support package for a 2901-based
fault-tolerant multiprocessor. Wrote and debugged operator's console application
for a Z8000-based triple modular redundant industrial controller.
- Designed and implemented of new capabilities of the in-house
CAD system. Anticipated future requirements of the CAD system and increased
efficiency and throughput. Interfaced between users, engineering, software, and
management. Secret clearance.
Childrens Hospital Medical Center, Boston MA
Consultant - Rehabilitation Engineering Center / The Gait Analysis Laboratory - 6 years
Designed and implemented an interactive data acquisition system for analyzing
abnormal gait. Worked closely with doctors, technicians, and therapists to
understand requirements and problems to be solved.
|Web Technologies WPI. Final project: Amazon.com in IIS / ASP.NET in 3
|MSME MIT. Thesis topic: Modern Control System for an Artificial
Pancreatic Beta Cell.
|BS (Mechanical Engineering) MIT. Thesis topic: Mechanical
Currency arbitrage (1963)
3rd grade math tutor program where student 'teaches;' program makes mistakes
Neural-net style random pronouncable text generator (1972 APL)
HP-35 calculator and extensions (1973-1978 FORTRAN)
FORTRAN Renumberer (1976 FORTRAN)
Virtual memory system, recursive FORTRAN, and APL (1978 FORTRAN)
Adventure-style natural language recognition (1978 FORTRAN)
Multiple execution threads in one process (1984 BLISS, MACRO-11)
S&P500 Probability Density Function generator (1986, 1991 FORTRAN)
Real-time syntax checking editor (1987 TPU)
MIPS R2000 (RISC) instruction level simulator (1988 BLISS, MACRO-32)
Blackjack trainer (1994-5 Win32, Borland C++, OWL, ProtoGen)
Concentration for 3 year olds (1999, Win32, VC++, MFC)
Math tutor redux (2005-20011, VB.NET)
BestInternationalCard.com (2005-present, Linux, Apache, MySQL, php)